Back in the mid 90s, my songwriting and production career started taking off. I was working with a couple of publishers and they each put me in collaborative situations with several artists. I was/am inspired by many of them. So, the opportunity to write with or produce for artists I admired was a bonus for someone like me who lives and breathes pop music.

Imagine my excitement when I was approached by one publisher to collaborate with Hue And Cry, one of my favorite groups! Conversations between managers and publishers began in order to coordinate writing sessions during one of my many trips to the UK. Ahead of potential plans, I was given an eight song cassette in order to get familiar with some of their newer tunes. I didn't give away the game, though. I didn't want anyone to know I was such a fan! That doesn't always work in a collaborative situation. So, I played it cool.

Unfortunately, due to production and touring schedules, a meeting between me, Pat and Greg never materialized. Being such a fan, I kept the cassette all these years even though I don't own a cassette deck anymore. It has been nearly 15 years since I last listened to that eight song cassette.

Finally, after obtaining a low end cassette player with a USB on it, I managed to digitize the cassette. With Pat's approval obtained on Twitter and, hopefully, Greg's forthcoming thumbs up on the music club, I am pleased to share these songs with you.

Some of them have appeared on albums in different versions. Others have remained unreleased to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully, Pat and Greg will see fit to release these rarities along with the sax and strings version of "Peaceful Face" on a digital EP. What a great treat before the release of "Hot Wire"! Maybe bonus tracks on a deluxe version? Just throwing my two cents in, fellas! I'm sure the original tapes sound much better than the tracks I digitized from a crummy cassette player.

As someone who has produced a fair share of hits collections, compilations and box sets, I'm offering my services if you need a hand with that kind of thing.

The tracks are:

1. Beautiful Thing

2. She Moves Through The Wires

3. Won't You Let Me Be

4. Letter To My Lover

5. I Didn't Know

6. Make It Easy For Me

7. Say Goodbye (Instrumental)

8. Just Say You Love Me (Instrumental)

Cheers! Enjoy.

Vinny

Views: 1044

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

And here are the others. Incidentally, the instrumental tracks are available on the Prodigal Sons album, which you can download for yourself: http://hueandcry.bandcamp.com/album/stranger-things-have-happened

Attachments:
Perfect. Many thanks! Hope to see you and the others at an H&C gig next year. Will be in the UK quite a bit.

May I add the really rare "Fixing A Hole" cover you guys (Hue & Cry) did in 1988 for Sgt Pepper Knew My Father relief album? Just converted from my old vinyl......

great thanks lads!

hvent heard these in a while.

is anyone allowed to post dangerous wrecka and seen it all? from the strength to strength cassette single(haha casette!!)

oh and greenock time??!! that would make my year!!

I've been trying to get cleaned up digital files of all the b-sides that didn't appear on CD singles. I'm especially looking for "Twisted", the b-side on the cassette single of "Violently".

OK, here's "Seen It All" and "Dangerous Wreck" from the Strength to Strength promo cassette.  You'll also find a live version of Dangerous Wreck on The River Sessions album: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/love-is-a-master/id400774800?i=400...  (Note: the track names are all wrong on this album!)

Attachments:

Big thanks, Graham. Much appreciated. H&C have a ton of b-sides and remixes not available on CD. If enough fans swap the stuff at least we will have them in some digital format. My plan is to clean them all up this year. Take care.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Hue And Cry.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service